If you’re like most homeowners, you don’t give much thought to your plumbing until there is a problem such as a leak or a blockage, or an unexpected rise in your water bill. Fortunately, most plumbing issues can be resolved quickly or prevented with proper installation, materials, and maintenance. Here are some common plumbing questions and answers to provide you with the causes and solutions to a number of plumbing problems, courtesy of the skilled professionals at Preferred Home Services.
Should My Water Be Turned Off When I Go on Vacation?
In addition to securing the exterior of your home to prevent weather infiltration or a break-in, it’s equally as important to safeguard your interior against potential damage from a flood or fire. The best way to avoid coming home to a disaster from a leak or burst pipe is to turn off the main water valve before you leave and ensure the thermostat is set to a minimum of 55 degrees.
Where Is My Main Water Shut-Off Valve?
The main water shut-off valve for your home can be found by searching the following:
- Along the interior perimeter
- Approximately three feet below ground level
- On the shortest path from the water meter to the house
- In your home inspection report
- In the case of an addition or remodel, the valve may be located behind a panel in the wall
Why Does My Toilet Keep Running?
A running toilet is more than just an annoyance; if left unattended it can waste hundreds of gallons of water. The most common cause is an open flap at the bottom of the tank, which allows the water to escape and prevents the float ball trigger from stopping the flow of water since the water level never reaches the fill line.
Why Is My Water Bill So High?
An unexplained spike in your water bill can be due to a number of reasons, including:
- Leaky faucet
- Running/leaking toilet
- Leaky pipes
- Leaky irrigation system
- Lifestyle changes
- Bad habits
- Outdated fixtures
- Leaky appliances
- And more
The certified professionals at Preferred Home Services can help determine the source of your plumbing issues and answer any plumbing repair questions you may have. Contact us today to schedule leak detection services and more!
Why Is Plumbing Maintenance Important?
Routine plumbing inspection and maintenance can help to detect minor issues before they become costly, major repairs or cause damage to your Charleston-area home.
Why Is Water Leaking Through the Ceiling From My Light Fixture?
Water finds the path of least resistance, and if it should make its way from the floor above into your ceiling fixture, take the following steps:
- Do not touch the switch for the light fixture as this may result in electrocution.
- Do not touch the light fixture or attempt to drain the water yourself.
- Turn off the power at the breaker box.
- Attempt to find the source of the leak and turn off the water, or if you can’t locate it, turn off the water at the main valve.
- Call for emergency plumbing repair.
What Should I Do If My Toilet Won’t Flush?
Common plumbing problems include a clogged or inoperable toilet. If yours won’t flush, try the following:
- A plunger or bucket of hot water may restore the flow
- Lift the tank cover to ensure the water level is up to the fill line
- Check to ensure the rubber flapper and chain are both operable
- Call Preferred Home Services for expert, reliable plumbing diagnosis and repair
What Causes Low Water Pressure?
Standard household water pressure is between 40 to 45 pounds per square inch and should not exceed 60 psi. If you have noticed a recent drop in water pressure, common causes may include:
- Plumbing leak
- Mineral deposit buildup
- Valve issues
- And more
Call Preferred Home Services at (843) 405-3601 for expert, efficient plumbing diagnosis and repair to restore the water pressure in your home.
Why Do My Pipes Make a Banging Noise?
Sudden changes in water pressure when using appliances such as your washing machine or dishwasher can cause your pipes to jerk and bang or rattle, which is a sign that your pipes are not fastened correctly. Over time this may cause damage to the pipes and lead to water leaks, so it should be resolved as soon as possible.
How Do I Choose the Right Plumber?
Choose your plumbing company based on the following criteria:
- Plumbers are certified, licensed, and insured
- Plumbers have experience dealing with all types of plumbing issues
- Plumbers offer upfront pricing
- Willing to provide you with at least three recent local references
- The company offers 24/7 emergency plumbing repair services